1810 W. Kennedy Blvd
Tampa, Florida 33606
Peter R. Mouton, CEO & Chief Scientific Officer
- NIH Postdoctoral Fellowship in Neuropathology, Pathology Department, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD. (Prof. Donald L. Price, M.D.).
- Postdoctoral Fellowship in Unbiased Stereology, University of Copenhagen, Denmark (Prof. dr. Hans J. G. Gundersen).
- Predoctoral Fellowship in Neurobiology (American-Scandinavian Foundation), Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden (Prof. dr. Lars Olson).
- Ph.D. Neurobiology. Dissertation: “Alzheimer-Like Neurochemical, Behavioral and Morphological Changes in the Rat Brain Following Intracortical AF64A” (Profs. Marvin Alvarez, Gary Arendash), USF Colleges of Medicine and Natural Sciences, Tampa, FL.
- Master’s Degree (MA), The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD
- Bachelor Degree (BS Biology), College of Natural Sciences, USF, Tampa, FL.
- Bachelor Degree (BA Chemistry), College of Natural Sciences, USF, Tampa, FL.
- 2003-present: President & Chief Scientific Officer, SRC Biosciences (Stereology Resource Center, Inc.), 1810 W. Kennedy Blvd, Tampa, FL
- 2010-present: Professor of Stereology, Stereology Laboratory & Biosciences, College of Engineering, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL
- 2016-present: Standing Study Section Member: ETTN-H (11B ), Drug Discovery for Aging, Neuropsychiatric and Neurological Diseases. NIH Center for Scientific Review
- 2017-present: Member Editorial Board, Journal of Chemical Neuroanatomy
- 2018-present. Professorem Hospitem (Visiting Professor), 4EU Alliance, Charles University at Prague, Czech Republic.
- 2018-2021: Fulbright Specialist, Bureau of Education & Cultural Affairs, United States Department of State.
- Director, Stereology Core Facility, Gerontology Research Center, National Institute on Aging, Baltimore, MD.
- Assistant Professor, Faculty, Pathology Department, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD.
Selected Peer Review Publications (> 100 total)
Walters, K., Boucher, M., Boucher, G.G., Opsahl, A.C., Mouton, P.R., Liu, C.-N., Ritenour, C.R., Kawabe, T.T., Pryski, H.N., Somps, C.J. No evidence of neurogenesis in adult rat sympathetic ganglia following guanethidine-induced neuronal necrosis. Toxicologic Pathology, April 2019.
Klebe, D., Tribewal, M., Vanaparthy, R., Varghese, M., Cheng, B., Mouton, P.R., Velishek, J., Dobrenis, K., Hof, P.R., and Ballabh, P. Reduced hippocampal dendrite branch, spine density and cognitive function in preterm rabbits and reversal with estrogen or TrkB agonist. Cerebral Cortex, March 16, 2019.
Phoulady, H.A., Goldgof, D., Lawrence O. Hall, L.O., Mouton, P.R. Automatic Ground Truth for Deep Learning Stereology of Immunostained Neurons and Microglia in Mouse Neocortex. J. Chemical Neuroanatomy, 96: 1-7, 2019.
Alahmari, S., Goldgof, D., Hall, D. Phoulady, H.A. Patel, R., Mouton, P.R. Automated Counts of Stained Cells by Deep Learning and Unbiased Stereology. J Chem Neuroanat, 96:94-101, 2019.
Phoulady, H.A., Goldgof, D., Hall, L.O., Nash, K.N., Mouton, P.R. Automatic Stereology of Mean Nuclear Size of Neurons using an Active Contour Framework. J Chem Neuroanat, 96:110-115, 2019.
Mouton, P.R., Phoulady, H.A., Goldgof, D., Hall, L.O., Gordon, M., Morgan, D. Unbiased estimation of cell number using the automatic optical fractionator. J Chem Neuroanat, 80:1-8, 2017.
Phoulady, H.A., Goldgof, D.B., Hall, L.O., Peter R. Mouton. A framework for nucleus and overlapping cytoplasm segmentation in cervical cytology extended depth of field and volume images. Computerized Medical Imaging and Graphics, Volume 59, Pages 38-49, July 2017.
Mouton, P.R. Unbiased Stereology Of Neural Systems: From Normal Aging To Mental Illness And Neurodegenerative Diseases (Editor). Special issue, J Chem Neuroanat, Volume 76, 2016.
Marcek, J., Okerberg, C., Liu, C.N., Potter D., Butler, P., Boucher, M., Peter R. Mouton, Nyengaard, J.R., Somps, C. Anti-NGF monoclonal antibody mu Mab 911 does not deplete neurons in the superior cervical ganglia of young or old adult rats. J Chem Neuroanat. 76: 133 2016.
Weise, C. M., Peter R. Mouton, Eschbacher, J., Coons, S. W., Krakoff, J. A Post-Mortem Stereological Study Of Striatal Cell Number In Human Obesity. Obesity, 23(1):100-4, 2015.
Mouton, P.R., Sobin, C. Developing a census of brain cells for the corticoendogram of human consciousness. J Chem Neuroanatomy, 2015.
Harry, G.J., Hooth, M.J., Vallant, M., Behl, M., Travlos, G.S., Howard, J.L., Price, C.J., McBride, S., Mervis, R., Peter R. Mouton, Neurodevelopmental Effects Of Gestational And Perinatal Thyroid Disruption In Rats. Toxics, 2, 496-532, 2014.
Stoner, R., Chow, M.L., Boyle, M.P., Sunkin, S.M., Peter R. Mouton, Roy, S., Wynshaw-Boris, A., Colamarino, S., Lein, E.S., Courchesne, E. Discrete Patches of Laminar Disorganization in Young Autistic Neocortex. New England Journal of Medicine, January, 2014.
Manaye, K.F., Peter R. Mouton, Xu, G., Drew, A., Lei, D-L, Yukti, S., Rebeck, G.W., Turner, S., Age-related loss of noradrenergic neurons in the brains of triple transgenic mice. AGE 35: 139-147, 2013.
Selenica, M-L. B., Alvarez, J.A., Nash, K.R., Lee, D.C., Cao, C., Lin, X., Reid, P., Peter R. Mouton, Morgan, D., Gordon, M.N. Diverse Activation Of Microglia By Chemokine (C-C Motif) Ligand 2 Overexpression In Brain. Journal Of Neuroinflammation, 10:86, 2013.
Elozory, D.T., Bonam, O.P., Kramer, K., Goldgof, D., Hall, L., Mangual, O., Peter R. Mouton, Automatic Section Thickness Determination Using An Absolute Gradient Focus Function. J Microsc, 248(3): 245-59, 2012.
Peter R. Mouton, Kelley-Bell, B., Tweedie, D., Spangler, E., Perez, E., Carlson, O.D., Short, R.G., Decabo, R., Chang, J., Ingram, D.K., Li, Y., Greig, N.H. Effects Of Age And LPS-Mediated Inflammation On Central Catecholaminergic Neuron Number In B6 Mice. Neurobiology Of Aging, 423:27-36, 2012.
Manaye, K.F., Peter R. Mouton, Xu, G., Drew, A., Lei, D-L, Yukti, S., Rebeck, G.W., Turner, S., Alzheimer’s Type Neuron Loss In Locus Coeruleus Of Triple Transgenic Mice. AGE, November 30, 2011.
Courchesne, E., Peter R. Mouton, Calhoun, M.E., Semendeferi, K., Ahrens-Barbeau, C., Carter, C., Pierce, K. Neuron Number And Size In Prefrontal Cortex Of Children With Autism. JAMA, 306 (18):2001-10, 2011.
Manaye, K.F., Kalifa, S., Drew, A.C., Edossa, A., Lei, D-L, Ingram, D.K., Peter R. Mouton. 17α-estradiol attenuates neuron loss in ovariectomized Dtg AβPP/PS1 mice. Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease, 23:629-39, December 2010.
Peter R. Mouton, Chachich, M.E., Quigley, C., Spangler, E., Ingram, D.K. Caloric Restriction Attenuates Cortical Amyloidosis In A Double Transgenic Mouse Model Of Alzheimer’s Disease. Neuroscience Lett 464:184-7, 2009.
Burke, M, Zangenehpour, S, Peter R. Mouton, Ptito, M. Knowing What Counts: Unbiased Stereology In The Non-Human Primate Brain. J Vis Exp. 2009 May 14; (27) 1262-1266. Video: Http://Www.Jove.Com/Index/Details.Stp?ID=1262.
Duffy, K.B, Spangler E.L., Devan B.D., Guo Z., Bowker J.L., Janas, A.M., Hagepanos, A., Minor, R.K., Decabo R., Peter R. Mouton, Shukitt-Hale, B., Joseph, J.A., Ingram, D.K. A Blueberry-Enriched Diet Provides Cellular Protection Against Oxidative Stress And Reduces A Kainate-Induced Learning Impairment In Rats. Neurobiol Aging. 29:1680-9, 2008.
Manaye, K.F., Wang, P., O’Neil, J., Huafu, S., Tizabi, Y., Thompson, N., Ottinger, M.A., Ingram, D.K., Peter R. Mouton. Neuropathological Quantification Of Dtg APP/PS1. AGE 29:87-96, 2007.
O’Neil, J.N., Peter R. Mouton, Tizabi Y., Ottinger, M.A., Lei, D-L., Ingram, D.K., Manaye, K.F. Catecholaminergic Neuron Number In Locus Coeruleus Of Aged Female Dtg App/Ps1 Mice. J. Chem.Neuroanat. 34(3-4): 102-7, 2007.
Perry, T.A., Holloway, H.W., Weerasuriya, A., Peter R. Mouton, Duffy, K., Mattison J.A. Evidence Of GLP-1-Mediated Neuroprotection In An Animal Model Of Pyridoxine-Induced Peripheral Sensory Neuropathy. Exp Neurol 203:293-301, 2007.
Peer-reviewed Books & Book Chapters
Peter R. Mouton. Quantitative Anatomy Using Unbiased Stereology, in CRC Handbook of Imaging in Biological Mechanics (Corey Geu and Guy Genin, eds), Taylor & Francis Press, London, 579 pp, October 27, 2014.
Peter R. Mouton. Applications Of Unbiased Stereology To Neurodevelopmental Toxicology, In Developmental Neurotoxicology Research: Principles, Models, Techniques, Strategies And Mechanisms (C. Wang And W. Slikke, Eds), John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, N.J. pg. 53-77, 2011.
Peter R. Mouton, Gordon, M. Stereological And Image Analysis Techniques For Quantitative Assessment Of Neurotoxicology. In Neurotoxicology, 3rd Edition, Target Organ Toxicology Series, G. Jean Harry, Hugh A. Tilson, (Eds), Taylor & Francis Press, London And New York, pp. 243-267, March 2010.
Peter R. Mouton. Applications Of Modern Stereology To Quantitative Microscopy, In Microscopy And Microanalysis, L.N. Brewer, S. Mackernan, J.P. Shields, et al., (Eds.), Cambridge University Press, London, Pp. 1526-1527, 2009.
Sisodia, S., Thinakaren, G., Van Koch, C., Slunt, H., Roskams, J., Kitt, C.A., Masliah, E., Koliatosos, V., Peter R. Mouton, Martin., L.J., Reed, R., Ronnett, G.V., Zheng, H., Van Der Ploeg, L., Price, D.L. In-Vivo Biology Of APP And Its Homologues. In Neurodegenerative Diseases: Molecular And Cellular Mechanisms And Therapeutic Approaches. (Gary Fiskum, Ed.), Plenum, New York. 485 Pp, 1996.
Peer-reviewed Conference Papers
Alahmari, S., Goldgof, D., Hall, D. Dave, P., Phoulady, H.A. Patel, R., Peter R. Mouton. Iterative Deep Learning Based Unbiased Stereology With Human-in-the-Loop. 17th IEEE International Conference on Machine Learning and Applications, Orlando, Florida, December 17-20, 2018.
Phoulady, H. A., Mouton, P.R. New cervical cytology dataset for nucleus detection and image classification (Cervix93) and methods for cervical nucleus detection. Proc. IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging, November, 2018.
Phoulady, H.A., Goldgof, D., Hall, L.O., Peter R. Mouton. Histopathology Image Segmentation with Hierarchical Multilevel Thresholding, In Proceedings of the SPIE Medical Imaging on Digital Pathology, San Diego, CA, 2016.
Phoulady, H. A., Peter R. Mouton. New cervical cytology dataset for nucleus detection and image classification (Cervix93) and methods for cervical nucleus detection. IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging, arXiv:1811.09651, November 23, 2018.
Phoulady, H.A., Goldgof, D.B., Hall, L.O., Peter R. Mouton. A Framework for Nucleus and Overlapping Cytoplasm Segmentation in Cervical Cytology Extended Depth of Field and Volume Images. Computerized Medical Imaging and Graphics, 59: 38-49, 2017.
Peter R. Mouton, Ahmari, S.A., Phoulady, H.A., Hall, L.O., Goldgof, D.B. High-Speed Stereology Analysis Of Neural Structures By Fully Automatic Stereology Technology (FAST). 50th International Congress of the Czech Anatomical Society, Pilsen, Czech Republic, September 2017.
Phoulady, H.A., Goldgof, D.B., Hall, L.O., and Peter R. Mouton. A new approach to detect and segment overlapping cells in multi-layer cervical cell volume images. Proceedings of the International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging (IEEE), Prague, Czech Republic, April 2016.
Chaudhury, B., Kramer, K., Elozory, D., Hernandez, G., Goldgof, D., Hall, L.O., Peter R. Mouton. A Novel Algorithm For Automated Counting Of Stained Cells On Thick Tissue Sections. In 25th International Symposium on Computer-based Medical Systems (CBMS) (Rome, Italy), pp. 1-6. IEEE, 2012.
Bonam, O., Elozory, D., Kramer, K., Goldgof, D., Hall, L.O., Mangual, O. Peter R. Mouton. Toward automated quantification of biological microstructures using unbiased stereology, Proc. SPIE, vol.7963, 2011.
Selected Awards, Honors, Patents (since 1997)
- 2018: U.S. Patent awarded (P. Mouton, Inventor) for “System and Method for Automatic Stereology of Cancer.” Patent No. 10,096,110 (October 9, 2018).
- 2018: Editor, Special Issue. Automatic Stereology and Image Analysis: Novel Segmentation and Machine Learning Approaches, Journal of Chemical Neuroanatomy, Elsevier Press, 2019.
- 2016: U.S. Patent awarded (P. Mouton, Inventor) for “Automatic Stereological Analysis of Biological Tissue.” Patent No. 9,297,995 (March 29, 2016).
- 2015. First Place, Image Segmentation Challenge on Overlapping Cytology. An approach for overlapping cell segmentation in multi-layer cervical cell volumes. IEEE ISBI, Brooklyn, NY.
- 2014: “Neurostereology,” John C. Wiley Press, Boston, MA.
- 2014. Florida High Tech Magazine’s Top Technology Entrepreneur for Stereologer, an NIH-funded computerized stereology system.
- 2011: “Unbiased Stereology: The Concise Guide,” The Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, MD.
- 2009. Faculty Mentor Award from Office of the Provost, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD.
- 2002: “Principles and Practices of Unbiased Stereology: An Introduction For Bioscientists,” The Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, MD.
- 2001-201:. Official U.S. Representative, International Society For Stereology.
- 1999: Ruth M. Salta Award for Outstanding Alzheimer’s Disease Research.
- 1998: Nathan Shock Award for Aging Research, Young Investigator Award.
- 1997-2000: Faculty-to-Teacher Program, Neighborhood Outreach For Neuroscientists, The Johns Hopkins University and Baltimore City Schools.
- 1997-present: Principal Investigator (PI) on research grants and contracts from federal agencies (NIH, NSF), state organizations and university foundations.
- 1997-present: Instructor, “Applications of Unbiased Stereology to Neural Systems,” Stereology Workshop sponsored by the Stereology Resource Center, Inc. Tampa, FL.
Grant Awards & Contracts
SRC Biosciences and Peter R. Mouton receive federal, state and local grant support to develop technology for stereology analysis of biological tissue. Under Dr. Mouton’s supervision, SRC Biosciences provides comprehensive stereology outsourcing to bioscientists in academic institutions, government agencies and pharmaceutical companies. Due to non-disclosure agreements, CRO contracts with private industry are not listed below.
Current Research Funding
National Institute on Aging (NIH)
Project Title: Treating with Gamma-Secretase Modulators to Prevent Neurodegeneration in Mouse Models of Down Syndrome and Alzheimer Disease.
Project Role: PI (PRM), Neuropathology Subaward
ID Number: 1R01AG055523-01A1 (Mobley, William, PI)
Duration: 01 May 2018 – 31 January 2023
Project Aims: 1. To detail the time of onset of neurodegeneration in the Dp16 model of AD-DS and Line 41 AD model using unbiased stereology. 2. To examine the effect of BPN15606 treatment before and after onset of neurodegeneration in the AD-DS model, the AD/cerebral amyloidosis model and the Line 41 mouse model.
U.S. Department of State
Award Title: Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program (Fulbright Scholarship)
Project Role: Principal Investigator
Duration: 09 April 2018 – 08 April 2021
Project Goal: To provide the international bioscience community with professional stereology support through on-site training, collaboration and consultation.
Florida High Tech Corridor Grant Program
Award Title: Automatic Stereology of Neuropathology Associated with AD
Project Role: Co-PI (Mouton/Goldgof))
Duration: 01 January 2018 – 31 August 2019
Project Goal: To apply artificial intelligence to stereology analysis of Alzheimer’s disease neuropathology.
National Institutes Of Aging (NIH)
Project Title: Antisense Oligonucleotides Targeting APP to Prevent Neurodegeneration in Models f Down Syndrome and Alzheimer’s disease.
Project Role: PI (PRM), Neuropathology Subaward
Award Type: RO1 (Mobley, William, PI)
Duration: 01 September 2018 to 31 August 2023
Project Goal: To assess the ability of ASO targeting to mitigate AD neuropathology in mouse models of AD and Down syndrome.
National Science Foundation (NSF)
NSF Phase II STTR Title: Microscope-based Technology For Automatic Cell Analysis Using Unbiased Methods
Project Role: Principal Investigator
Project Goal: To develop and validate deep learning neural networks for automatic stereology of biological structure on stained tissue sections.