Peter R. Mouton
- NIH Postdoctoral Fellowship in Neuropathology, Pathology Department, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD. (Prof. Donald L. Price, M.D.).
- Postdoctoral Fellowship in Unbiased Stereology, University of Copenhagen, Denmark (Prof. dr. Hans J. G. Gundersen).
- Predoctoral Fellowship in Neurobiology, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden (Prof. dr. Lars Olson).
- Ph.D. in Neurobiology. Dissertation: “Alzheimer-Like Neurochemical, Behavioral and Morphological Changes in the Rat Brain Following Intracortical AF64A” (Profs. Marvin Alvarez, Gary Arendash), USF Colleges of Medicine and Natural Sciences, Tampa, FL).
- Master of Arts in Writing, Thesis: “The Neuropathology of Shakespearean Tragedies,” (Prof. Edward Perlman), The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD.
- Bachelor Degree (BS Biology), College of Natural Sciences, USF, Tampa, FL.
- Bachelor Degree (BA Chemistry), College of Natural Sciences, USF, Tampa, FL.
- 2003-present: President & Chief Scientific Officer, SRC Biosciences (Stereology Resource Center, Inc.), 1810 W. Kennedy Blvd, Tampa, FL
- 2010-present: Professor of Stereology & Director, Laboratory of Stereology & Computer Sciences, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL
- 2016-present: Study Section Standing Member: ETTN-H (11B ), Drug Discovery for Aging, Neuropsychiatric and Neurological Diseases. NIH Center for Scientific Review
- 2017-present: Member Editorial Board, Journal of Chemical Neuroanatomy
- 2018-present. Professorem Hospitem (Visiting Professor), 4EU Alliance, Charles University at Prague, Czech Republic.
- 2018-2021: Fulbright Specialist, Bureau of Education & Cultural Affairs, United States Department of State.
- Director, Stereology Core Facility, Gerontology Research Center, National Institute on Aging, Baltimore, MD.
- Assistant Professor, Faculty of the Pathology Department, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD.
Selected Awards, Honors, Patents (since 1997)
- 2018: U.S. Patent awarded (P. Mouton, Inventor) for “System and Method for Automatic Stereology of Cancer.” Patent No. 10,096,110 (October 9, 2018).
- 2018: Editor, Special Issue. Automatic Stereology and Image Analysis: Novel Segmentation and Machine Learning Approaches, Journal of Chemical Neuroanatomy, Elsevier Press, in press.
- 2016: U.S. Patent awarded (P. Mouton, Inventor) for “Automatic Stereological Analysis of Biological Tissue.” Patent No. 9,297,995 (March 29, 2016).
- 2015. First Place, Image Segmentation Challenge on Overlapping Cytology. An approach for overlapping cell segmentation in multi-layer cervical cell volumes. IEEE ISBI, Brooklyn, NY.
- 2014: “Neurostereology,” John C. Wiley Press, Boston, MA.
- 2014. Florida High Tech Magazine’s Top Technology Entrepreneur for Stereologer, an NIH-funded computerized stereology system.
- 2011: “Unbiased Stereology: The Concise Guide,” The Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, MD.
- 2009. Faculty Mentor Award from Office of the Provost, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD.
- 2002: “Principles and Practices of Unbiased Stereology: An Introduction For Bioscientists,” The Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, MD.
- 2001-201:. Official U.S. Representative, International Society For Stereology.
- 1999: Ruth M. Salta Award for Outstanding Alzheimer’s Disease Research.
- 1998: Nathan Shock Award for Aging Research, Young Investigator Award.
- 1997-2000: Faculty-to-Teacher Program, Neighborhood Outreach For Neuroscientists, The Johns Hopkins University and Baltimore City Schools.
- 1997-present: Principal Investigator (PI) on research grants and contracts from federal agencies (NIH, NSF), state organizations and university foundations.
- 1997-present: Instructor, “Applications of Unbiased Stereology to Neural Systems,” Stereology Workshop sponsored by the Stereology Resource Center, Inc. Tampa, FL.
Grant Awards & Contracts
SRC Biosciences and Dr. Peter R. Mouton receive federal, state and local grant support to develop technology for stereology analysis of biological tissue. Under Dr. Mouton’s supervision, SRC Biosciences provides comprehensive stereology outsourcing services to bioscientists in academic institutions, government agencies and pharmaceutical companies.
Current Research Funding
National Institute on Aging (NIH)
Project Title: Treating with Gamma-Secretase Modulators to Prevent Neurodegeneration in Mouse Models of Down Syndrome and Alzheimer Disease.
Project Role: PI (PRM), Neuropathology Subaward
ID Number: 1R01AG055523-01A1 (Mobley, William, PI)
Duration: 01 May 2018 – 31 January 2023
Project Aims: 1. To detail the time of onset of neurodegeneration in the Dp16 model of AD-DS and Line 41 AD model using unbiased stereology. 2. To examine the effect of BPN15606 treatment before and after onset of neurodegeneration in the AD-DS model, the AD/cerebral amyloidosis model and the Line 41 mouse model.
National Institutes Of Aging (NIH)
Project Title: Antisense Oligonucleotides Targeting APP to Prevent Neurodegeneration in Models f Down Syndrome and Alzheimer’s disease.
Project Role: PI (PRM), Neuropathology Subaward
Award Type: RO1 (Mobley, William, PI)
Duration: 01 September 2018 to 31 August 2023
Project Goal: To assess the ability of ASO targeting to mitigate AD neuropathology in mouse models of AD and Down syndrome.
National Science Foundation (NSF)
Project Title: Microscope-based Technology For Automatic Cell Counts Using Unbiased Stereology
Project Role: Principal Investigator
Duration: 01 January 2018 – 31 December 2018
ID number: NSF #1746511 (STTR)
Project Goal: To develop and validate deep learning and adaptive segmentation algorithms for automatic stereology of immunostained cells on tissue sections.
U.S. Department of State
Award Title: Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program (Fulbright Scholarship)
Project Role: Principal Investigator
Duration: 09 April 2018 – 08 April 2021
Project Goal: To provide the international bioscience community with professional stereology support through on-site training, collaboration and consultation.
Florida High Tech Corridor Grant Program
Award Title: Automatic Stereology of Neuropathology Associated with AD
Project Role: Co-PI (Mouton/Goldgof))
Duration: 01 January 2018 – 31 December 2018
Project Goal: To apply artificial intelligence to stereology analysis of Alzheimer’s disease neuropathology.
Due to non-disclosure agreements, CRO contracts with private industry are not listed.
Selected Peer Review Publications (> 100)
Ahmari, S.A., Goldgof, D.B., Hall, L.O., Dave, P., Phoulady, H.A., Mouton, P.R. Iterative Deep Learning Based Unbiased Stereology With Human-in-the-Loop. in review.
Mouton, P.R. Combining Neurotechnologies: The Key To Quantifying the Structure of Human Consciousness, in review.
Phoulady, H.A., Goldgof, D., Hall, L.O., Mouton, P.R. Automatic Ground Truth for Deep Learning Stereology of Immunostained Neurons and Microglia in Mouse Neocortex. in review.
Ahmari, S.A., Goldgof, D.B., Hall, L.O., Phoulady, H.A., Patel, R., Mouton, P.R. Automated Cell Counts on Tissue Sections by Deep Learning and Unbiased Stereology, in review.
Phoulady, H.A., Goldgof, D., Hall, L.O., Mouton, P.R.. Histopathology Image Segmentation with Hierarchical Multilevel Thresholding, in review.
Phoulady, H.A., Goldgof, D.B., Hall, L.O., Mouton, P.R. A Framework for Nucleus and Overlapping Cytoplasm Segmentation in Cervical Cytology Extended Depth of Field and Volume Images. Computerized Medical Imaging and Graphics, 59: 38-49, 2017.
Mouton, P.R., Phoulady, H.A., Goldgof, D., Hall, L.O., Gordon, M., Morgan, D. Unbiased estimation of cell number using the automatic optical fractionator. J Chem Neuroanat, 80:1-8, 2017.
Mouton, P.R. Unbiased Stereology Of Neural Systems: From Normal Aging To Mental Illness And Neurodegenerative Diseases. J Chem Neuroanat, Volume 76, October 2016.
Marcek, J., Okerberg, C., Liu, C.N., Potter D., Butler, P., Boucher, M., Mouton, P.R., Nyengaard, J.R., Somps, C. Anti-NGF monoclonal antibody mu Mab 911 does not deplete neurons in the superior cervical ganglia of young or old adult rats. J Chem Neuroanat. 76: 133 2016.
Weise, C. M., Mouton, P. R., Eschbacher, J., Coons, S. W., Krakoff, J. A Post-Mortem Stereological Study Of Striatal Cell Number In Human Obesity. Obesity, 23(1):100-4, 2015.
Mouton, P.R., Sobin, C. Developing a census of brain cells for the corticoendogram of human consciousness. J Chem Neuroanatomy, 2015.
Harry, G.J., Hooth, M.J., Vallant, M., Behl, M., Travlos, G.S., Howard, J.L., Price, C.J., McBride, S., Mervis, R., Mouton, P.R. Neurodevelopmental Effects Of Gestational And Perinatal Thyroid Disruption In Rats. Toxics, 2, 496-532, 2014.
Stoner, R., Chow, M.L., Boyle, M.P., Sunkin, S.M., Mouton, P.R., Roy, S., Wynshaw-Boris, A., Colamarino, S., Lein, E.S., Courchesne, E. Discrete Patches of Laminar Disorganization in Young Autistic Neocortex. New England Journal of Medicine, January, 2014.
Manaye, K.F., Mouton, P.R., Xu, G., Drew, A., Lei, D-L, Yukti, S., Rebeck, G.W., Turner, S., Age-related loss of noradrenergic neurons in the brains of triple transgenic mice. AGE 35: 139-147, 2013.
Selenica, M-L. B., Alvarez, J.A., Nash, K.R., Lee, D.C., Cao, C., Lin, X., Reid, P., Mouton, P.R., Morgan, D., Gordon, M.N. Diverse Activation Of Microglia By Chemokine (C-C Motif) Ligand 2 Overexpression In Brain. Journal Of Neuroinflammation, 10:86, 2013.
Elozory, D.T., Bonam, O.P., Kramer, K., Goldgof, D., Hall, L., Mangual, O., Mouton, P.R. Automatic Section Thickness Determination Using An Absolute Gradient Focus Function. J Microsc, 248(3): 245-59, 2012.
Mouton, P.R., Kelley-Bell, B., Tweedie, D., Spangler, E., Perez, E., Carlson, O.D., Short, R.G., Decabo, R., Chang, J., Ingram, D.K., Li, Y., Greig, N.H. Effects Of Age And LPS-Mediated Inflammation On Central Catecholaminergic Neuron Number In B6 Mice. Neurobiology Of Aging, 423:27-36, 2012.
Manaye, K.F., Mouton, P.R., Xu, G., Drew, A., Lei, D-L, Yukti, S., Rebeck, G.W., Turner, S., Alzheimer’s Type Neuron Loss In Locus Coeruleus Of Triple Transgenic Mice. AGE, November 30, 2011.
Courchesne, E., Mouton, P.R., Calhoun, M.E., Semendeferi, K., Ahrens-Barbeau, C., Carter, C., Pierce, K. Neuron Number And Size In Prefrontal Cortex Of Children With Autism. JAMA, 306 (18):2001-10, 2011.
Manaye, K.F., Kalifa, S., Drew, A.C., Edossa, A., Lei, D-L, Ingram, D.K., Mouton, P.R. 17α-estradiol attenuates neuron loss in ovariectomized Dtg AβPP/PS1 mice. Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease, 23:629-39, December 2010.
Mouton, P.R., Chachich, M.E., Quigley, C., Spangler, E., Ingram, D.K. Caloric Restriction Attenuates Cortical Amyloidosis In A Double Transgenic Mouse Model Of Alzheimer’s Disease. Neuroscience Lett 464:184-7, 2009.
Burke, M, Zangenehpour, S, Mouton PR, Ptito, M. Knowing What Counts: Unbiased Stereology In The Non-Human Primate Brain. J Vis Exp. 2009 May 14; (27) 1262-1266. Video: Http://Www.Jove.Com/Index/Details.Stp?ID=1262.
Duffy, K.B, Spangler E.L., Devan B.D., Guo Z., Bowker J.L., Janas, A.M., Hagepanos, A., Minor, R.K., Decabo R., Mouton, P.R., Shukitt-Hale, B., Joseph, J.A., Ingram, D.K. A Blueberry-Enriched Diet Provides Cellular Protection Against Oxidative Stress And Reduces A Kainate-Induced Learning Impairment In Rats. Neurobiol Aging. 29:1680-9, 2008.
Manaye, K.F., Wang, P., O’Neil, J., Huafu, S., Tizabi, Y., Thompson, N., Ottinger, M.A., Ingram, D.K., Mouton, P.R. Neuropathological Quantification Of Dtg APP/PS1. AGE 29:87-96, 2007.
O’Neil, J.N., Mouton, P.R., Tizabi Y., Ottinger, M.A., Lei, D-L., Ingram, D.K., Manaye, K.F. Catecholaminergic Neuron Number In Locus Coeruleus Of Aged Female Dtg App/Ps1 Mice. J. Chem.Neuroanat. 34(3-4): 102-7, 2007.
Perry, T.A., Holloway, H.W., Weerasuriya, A., Mouton, P.R., Duffy, K., Mattison J.A. Evidence Of GLP-1-Mediated Neuroprotection In An Animal Model Of Pyridoxine-Induced Peripheral Sensory Neuropathy. Exp Neurol 203:293-301, 2007.
Books & Book Chapters
Mouton, P.R. Quantitative Anatomy Using Unbiased Stereology, in CRC Handbook of Imaging in Biological Mechanics (Corey Geu and Guy Genin, eds), Taylor & Francis Press, London, 579 pp, October 27, 2014.
Mouton, P.R. Applications Of Unbiased Stereology To Neurodevelopmental Toxicology, In Developmental Neurotoxicology Research: Principles, Models, Techniques, Strategies And Mechanisms (C. Wang And W. Slikke, Eds), John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, N.J. pg. 53-77, 2011.
Mouton, P.R., Gordon, M. Stereological And Image Analysis Techniques For Quantitative Assessment Of Neurotoxicology. In Neurotoxicology, 3rd Edition, Target Organ Toxicology Series, G. Jean Harry, Hugh A. Tilson, (Eds), Taylor & Francis Press, London And New York, pp. 243-267, March 2010.
Mouton, P.R. Applications Of Modern Stereology To Quantitative Microscopy, In Microscopy And Microanalysis, L.N. Brewer, S. Mackernan, J.P. Shields, et al., (Eds.), Cambridge University Press, London, Pp. 1526-1527, 2009.
Sisodia, S., Thinakaren, G., Van Koch, C., Slunt, H., Roskams, J., Kitt, C.A., Masliah, E., Koliatosos, V., Mouton P.R., Martin., L.J., Reed, R., Ronnett, G.V., Zheng, H., Van Der Ploeg, L., Price, D.L. In-Vivo Biology Of APP And Its Homologues. In Neurodegenerative Diseases: Molecular And Cellular Mechanisms And Therapeutic Approaches. (Gary Fiskum, Ed.), Plenum, New York. 485 Pp, 1996.
Invited Conference Papers (peer-reviewed)
Alahmari, S., Goldgof, D., Hall, D. Dave, P., Phoulady, H.A. Patel, R., Mouton, P.R. Iterative Deep Learning Based Unbiased Stereology With Human-in-the-Loop. 17th IEEE International Conference on Machine Learning and Applications, December 17-20, 2018,in press.
Mouton, P.R., Ahmari, S.A., Phoulady, H.A., Hall, L.O., Goldgof, D.B. High-Speed Stereology Analysis Of Neural Structures By Fully Automatic Stereology Technology (FAST). 50th International Congress of the Czech Anatomical Society, Pilsen, Czech Republic, September 2017.
Phoulady, H.A., Goldgof, D.B., Hall, L.O., and Mouton, P.R. A new approach to detect and segment overlapping cells in multi-layer cervical cell volume images. Proceedings of the International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging (IEEE), Prague, Czech Republic, April 2016.
Chaudhury, B., Kramer, K., Elozory, D., Hernandez, G., Goldgof, D., Hall, L.O., Mouton, P.R. A Novel Algorithm For Automated Counting Of Stained Cells On Thick Tissue Sections. In 25th International Symposium on Computer-based Medical Systems (CBMS) (Rome, Italy), pp. 1-6. IEEE, 2012.
Bonam, O., Elozory, D., Kramer, K., Goldgof, D., Hall, L.O., Mangual, O. Mouton, P.R. Toward automated quantification of biological microstructures using unbiased stereology, Proc. SPIE, vol.7963, 2011.